About The Youth Show
Agri-Expo identified the need for young people to get involved into agriculture and started Youth Shows in the Western Cape, to change the way of thinking among the youth of South Africa so that they can become involved in agriculture, develop life skills, learn about Agri careers and entrepreneurship by actively participating in youth shows.
With this vision in mind Agri-Expo led the way to establish the Western Cape Agricultural Youth Society in 1999. This Society is an independent organisation with its own constitution, management and rules of conduct. The management committee of the WCAYS consists of a representative of Agri-Expo as founder member, six representatives appointed by the regional agricultural shows and one representative from each of the agricultural schools in the Western Cape.
Today Agri-Expo together with the Western Cape Agricultural Youth Society has grown the Youth Show program to one of the strongest Youth in Agriculture programs in the Western Cape with more than 800 children participating in rural agricultural shows and expos.
OUR GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- To create an affinity for agriculture within the youth;
- To create an opportunity for learners to participate in agricultural related activities on an extracurricular level;
- To develop a variety of skills
- To promote teamwork.
- Encouraging self-paced learning
- To provide new and enjoyable experiences in agriculture
- To provide recognition for work well done
- To stimulate innovation within the youth through agriculture
- To stimulate entrepreneurship in the agricultural sector at a young age
The Categories Participants take part in one of the following categories
- Cattle (Beef and Dairy Cattle)
- Goats (Mutton, Dairy and Mohair)
- Sheep (Mutton and Wool)
- Dairy Products
- Culinary Art